7.27.2017

Summer camps - challenging for a child or a mother?

shutterstock_223083790
pic from https://livinginluzern.swiss


This year me and my husband decided it was time for our children (a ten year old son and a nine year old daughter - today is her birthday) to send them to summer camp! The choice of the camp wasn't questioned, since our children weren't scouts , YMCA was the obvious solution. 

To this time, that our children have not yet returned, but we had our visiting day (what a torture! crying and hugging and dreading the parting time) we believe, we made a good decision! Our son has a great time there, and our daughter would also, except she was bitten by mosquitoes and is on antibiotics, so unfortunately misses some of her swims. 

They both miss us very much, and we both miss them as well! However I think this is a part of the growing up process, and will eventually empower them to cope with more difficulties in life. 

For me as a mother, it is an ordeal knowing that especially my daughter has more difficulties than other campers, and that they are first timers, and they have both cried, at night in their beds, but I, also must realise that we are not tied up to each other, and I must learn to let go! And trust me when I tell you that this for a Greek mother, even nowadays, is too difficult to cope with. 

So, really, in a week that we are getting back together, I have to wonder, will I be able to maintain at least some of the good staff that the camp taught them and me, or am I going to be incorrigible and spoil them again? 

Now that their adventure is nearly over, I can only wonder how will life after camp really be. 



No comments: